..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Huxtaburger

I have been wanting to come here for at least a whole month, before the day finally arrived. People have been telling me about it, the newpapers have been raving on about it. So it has been a long month to wait, before I found the time to head down to Collingwood.

I've heard about the waiting times before, so I thought going at 2.30 on a Sunday afternoon would mean no wait. Boy was I wrong, my boyfriend and I still waited for 45 min to an hour before we got our food.

The place is tiny, so I would definitely recommend you get take away considering the current freezing Melbourne weather. The place is run down but filled with people, so you really can't miss it when you go down Smith St.

The menu only consists of 5 burgers, 1 of them being a kids burger.

First one up was the original Huxtaburger. This has all the classic fillings: beef patty, mustard, mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomato, cheese and tomato sauce. What makes this the winning burger is the mayo and pickles. Unlike the usual burger joints, their pickles are freshly pickled and not the type you get from a jar. The patty was also juicy and full of flavour. Two thumbs up!

Second, there was the Bills burger. This had a slightly thicker beef patty with bacon, egg, pineapple and beetroot. This has a sweeter taste from the beetroot and pineapple, good combination and easy to down 1 or 2 or maybe even three in one seating.


Finally there was the Denise, which had the jalapenos, patty, tomatoes, cheese and sriracha mayo. Don't get me wrong, this is a good burger, but with the other options on the menu it just wasn't the winner. The sriracha mayo is beautiful but maybe just a bit too powering in this, especially with the kick in the jalapenos.

As a side, there was also the chipotle fries. This is an interesting concept, but my heart still lies with the truffle oil, parmasen chips at Charlie & Co, and Jamie's Italian. It was a good attempt to make fries interesting without an array of fancy sauces.

Overall. I think it does live up to the hype, maybe I am easy to please when it comes to burgers, but this is not what you will find easily. I think, when you visit this place you need to go with the mindset that you will be getting greasy burgers and not fancy burgers like Grill'd. 16/20


Huxtaburger on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig