..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sapore

Situated near the waterfront in St Kilda this place has a beautiful ambiance especially if you come here near sunset.

Having been awarded a chef hat by The Age good food guide, this was a place I anticipated on trying for a while. Specializing in Modern Italian, the menu was full of pastas and risottos.


As a starter I got the Oysters natural and Salt and Pepper Calamari. The Oysters were fresh and creamy. Salt and Pepper Calamari were nicely seasoned and fried just perfectly. They weren't over fried or oily which was nice to see for a change (far too many places serves calamari dripping in oil these days) served with aioli it was a good way to start the meal.


For mains I got the Waygu Ragu Pappardelle and the prime cut Steak. The pappardelle lacked the richness I like in a good pasta sauce but the flavors did work well. Personally I think it would have worked better with a thinner/smaller pasta. The actual pasta took the attention away from the sauce. However my partner liked the Ragu just the way it was, so I guess it really comes down to your preference in pasta sauce richness.


The Steak was nicely cooked but a tad disappointing. I still find the steak at Meat Wine & Co. and City Grill Room to be the winners of restaurants in this caliber. The wine jus and chips were good though. Personally the Bearnaise did nothing for me.


 There was also pork belly with baby carrots and a grain side. Nothing that blew my mind. The pork belly was cooked nicely but the flavours were very ordinary.





My friend ordered their signature dish, the Seafood Linguine and I got to try this. Of the 3 mains I tried this was my favourite and I can understand why it's their signature. The pasta was just al dente which was good to see and the seafood was a fresh selection. 

We also ordered a range of sides but nothing was outstanding. If you really had to pick a side to order I would recommend the roast pumpkin with feta and almond.

Overall 13/20 a disappointment overall. I fail to see where the chef hat comes in. For the price point that is pitched, I don’t rate this place at all. 

Sapore on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig