..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Andrew's hamburgers

I have heard heaps about this place, and it always pops up whenever there is an article about burgers in The Age. I've driven past it a few times and thought it was time, I finally gave it a go. Located on a row of shops in the residential side of Albert Park, it's a small local shop and nothing fancy to it.

You should be able to spot it quite easily, as there are a few seats outside and generally a small bunch of people waiting for their burgers. When you walk in, you are greeted with the smell of patties cooking and freshly cut onions. You look up and you will see an old school menu with burgers, dim sims, potato cakes and chips. Look to your right, and you'll see photos of the famous people that have visited.

Their special menu has their most popular items. D got "The Lot" with a steak patty.  Wrapped in butcher paper and brimming with sauce, it is one massive burger. With egg, bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion on a bread roll... it is not stingy at all. So big it was hard to bite into. I think the appeal on this place is how no frills the burger is. The steak patty was nicely cook and could be easily bitten into. However don't expect any special sauce or brioche buns. It's more of a caravan park burger. You would be excited if you got this from a caravan park but not so much when you had to drive to Albert Park for it

I got the Hawaiian burger with the beef patty. Again this was a massive burger, with beetroot, pineapple, cheese and tomato. Unlike The Lot, this was not as heavy. The patty wasn't anything special though, but for what it was, it was done nicely.

We also got the regular chips to share, this was a massive bag of hot chips that reminded me of the ones I use to get from the canteen in high school. Very heavy handed with the salt and you dunk in watered down tomato sauce. Bought back memories and I (secretly) enjoyed it. In saying that, I am a soggy chips person!

Overall 12/20. I found the place a bit over-hyped. In terms of value it is a massive burger with heaps inside. Maybe I'm too accustomed to what D calls 'hipster burger joints', I still prefer places such as Huxtaburger, Grill'd (not that hipster anymore), Hammer Tong etc. The price of $10.50 for a burger but with some many other options on a similar price point I will not be making a trip back. To be fair, in terms of that local fish and chip or burger shop, it does do well and better than other of that genre. Just not my cup of tea.

Andrew's Hamburgers on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig