..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Mr Miyagi

Mr Miyagi has become the talk of town in the last year or so. It popped up a few years ago and first caught my attention at the Night Noodle Markets, I have always been wanting to try the restaurant but due to the wait for a table (think 2 hours) unless you show up at 5.30pm, it has put me off until recently. As of late, I have been working hard and put myself in a vicious cycle of eating the same thing, same place and keep working so it was time to change that.

On a Friday night when D and I weren't all that hungry and was eager to try something different, we finally walked up Chapel Street and put our names down. We got there around 9.00pm (hoping it meant a shorter wait and it worked), at 10.00pm we were finally sitting down on a table. The staff were lovely from the moment we set foot into the place.

As soon as we sat down we were given menus and explained to us how the menu worked. Since it was our first time to Mr Miyagi, they ran through all the favorites and recommended a few more. Since we were starving at this point, we got our orders in quickly.

First up was the Nori Tacos. This was easily my favorite dish of the night. Think tacos but swap the corn shell for a seaweed shell and fill it with rice, salmon belly, spicy napa cabbage (kind of like kimchi), chilli mayo. The result is a mind blowing awesome taco where you just don't want to share. The spicy cabbage with salmon was a great bite then followed with the chilli mayo, it gave just enough creaminess to balance out the spice. If you come here, you must order this.

Second was Kingfish Ceviche. Kingfish cured in grapefruit and cucumber then finished with red sorrel, coconut panna cotta and ginger dressing. Maybe I am getting picky these days (as ceviche is quite a common dish now in fusion restaurant), I just wasn't wow'ed by this dish. The fish was cured perfectly but the cucumber pairing was a bit disappointing for me. I expected something more explosive in terms of flavour.

Third up was the Cracked Corn on Stick. This was a corn cob covered in corn crunch and miso butter. I never realized corned covered in more crunchy corn would be so good. The bbq flavour in the corn crunch mixed in with the miso butter made this quite the snack. I would happily sit in front of the tv with a cob or two of these.

Forth was the Tuna Tataki Pizza. I honestly had no idea what to expect with this one. It came as seared tuna on flat bread with heirloom tomatoes, jalapenos and finished with yuzu Caesar sauce. All those things don't sound like they belong together as a pizza but somehow it worked. The lightness in the fish made the punchy tomato, yuzu caesar sauce work well together, then to finish it off with the pinch of spiciness from the jalapenos.

Fifth was MFC, also known as Miyagi Fried Chicken. This was the main reason that D wanted to come here. Glorious seasoned fried chicken, served with kewpi mayo. The outside was crisp and tasty, inside the chicken was just right. It was damn good is the only way I can sum it up.

Sixth was Black Pig Gyoza. This was black pig filling with a thin skin that was lightly pan-fried and served with ginger soy. It was a bit on the salty side but still enjoyable.

Seventh was Steam Pork Buns. This came deconstrated, there was 12 hour pulled pork,
pickled pumpkin, cucumber and ginger. All that was to go into a soft steamed bun. This was more on the spicy side. I struggled with the heat but D took it find. The elements had an explosion of flavour, if it was less spicy, I would have happily eaten a whole plate to myself.

Lastly dessert, I had no room but the friendly waitress convinced me. We got the Pumpkin Toast, which as the name suggest is pumpkin toast served with white chocolate ganache, large chunks of honeycomb, yoghurt sorbet and spiced pumpkin ice cream. This was one big dessert with heaps to offer. I would suggest you share with someone. There all the elements on the plate, from soft to warm and sticky to creamy.

Overall 17.5/20 I was very impressed with Mr Miyagi, it exceeded my expectations. The nori tacos and MFC left a lasting impression. Coupled with exceptional service it was the perfect night out. If the wait wasn't that long, I would happily make this a regular place to visit.


  Mr. Miyagi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig